‘Tis the season! TELLABRATION!™ is a worldwide storytelling event hosted in communities around the world. Traditionally, all events are held the weekend before Thanksgiving but, with increased interest, events have spread into the first weeks of November. It creates a network of storytelling enthusiasts bonded together in spirit at the same time and in the same month. It’s a great night for story listeners, young and old, harkening back to those days when you listened to the family stories on Grandma’s porch. See below for statewide TELLABRATION!™ events, in chronological order.
- Thursday, November 1 – Storytelling for All Ages will be featured at the Southern Crescent Storytellers’ second annual TELLABRATION!™, at 6 PM at the Fortson Public Library, 61 McDonough Street, Hampton, GA 30228. FREE admission. For additional information, contact Anne Wallace at 770-460-9946 or Anne50W@aol.com. (Click here for a flyer.)
- Friday, November 9 – Emerging Voices YOUTH TELLABRATION!™ will feature youth storytellers from the City of Atlanta and from DeKalb, Coweta, and Henry counties. It will be held at 7 PM in the Callanwolde Mansion at the Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, 980 Briarcliff Road, N.E., Atlanta, Georgia 30306.Tickets will be sold at the door: $3 for general admission and $1 for children. For more information, call 404-872-5338.
- Friday, November 16 – Roswell’s TELLABRATION!™ will be held at 7:30 PM at the Roswell Adult Recreation Center, 830 Grimes Bridge Road, Roswell, GA 30075. Admission is $5.00 per person at the door; no advance sales. Storytellers will be B.J http://ukviagras.com/ed/buy-viagra-online-uk/. Abraham, Frank Causey, Brad Corbin, and Natalie Jones, with emcee Ron Kemp. Call 770-640-3253 for more information. (Click here to view separate article.)
- Saturday, November 17 – Atlanta TELLABRATION!™ – The Southern Order of Storytellers (SOS) presents its 23rd annual TELLABRATION!™, featuring national teller (and SOS member) Andy Offutt Irwin and SOS storytellers Betty Ann Wylie and Alice Henry, with Tracy Walker as emcee, at the Friends School of Atlanta, 862 South Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA 30030. Doors open at 7:30 PM and storytelling begins at 8:00 PM. Onsite parking is available and is free. (Click here to view separate article.) TICKETS are general admission and may be reserved in advance through Shannon McNeal, the director of TELLABRATION!™, at ShannonMcNeal@att.net or 404-626-4453. A limited number of tickets will be available at the door. Tickets are available online. Ticket prices through November 7 will be $10 for SOS members only and $15 for all non-SOS members. After November 7, all tickets will be $15. (Editor’s Note: We welcome you to join SOS now, via the website, and get a $5 discount on your ticket plus all the other benefits of membership!)
- Saturday, November 17 – In Augusta, Georgia, the Tellers of Two Cities troupe will host their TELLABRATION!™ at 7:30 PM at the Summerchase Clubhouse, 3200 Summerchase Circle, Augusta, GA 30909. Tellers will include Mary Gene Cotten, Christian Cotten (age 12), Charlie Cotten (age 9), Casey Cotten (age 9), Jean Embry, Lynn Jaffe, Don Mitcham, Gale Wilkins, Deborah Winkler and Bob Linsenmayer. Admission is FREE and desserts will be served at intermission! For further information, contact Bob Linsenmayer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Several SOS members are working together to encourage more US Military Veterans of all branches of service and all times of service to share their stories with folks in Georgia.
Mark on your calendars the following dates and locations for events of Veterans Storytelling.
- Saturday, November 10 – Second Annual Veterans Day Program at 2:30 PM at The Palms at Lake Spivey – in Henry County, south of Jonesboro, GA. FREE admission.
- Sunday, November 11 – Hear stories from veterans, service members, and their families at 3 PM at Callanwolde Fine Arts Center in Atlanta. FREE admission.
- Monday, November 12 – Third Annual Veterans Day Program at 6 PM, 870 Redwine Road, Fayetteville, GA. Enjoy an excellent program, including a Veterans’ TELLABRATION!™ with veterans from different eras telling their stories, a color guard, a USO show, terrific singers, and much more. FREE admission.
- December 3-14 – Veterans can record their stories at several locations in the south side area, in cooperation with Story Corps. The veteran gets a copy of the CD, along with a certificate. Another copy of the CD is sent to the Library of Congress.
If you know of any veteran who would be interested in participating in any of these events as a storyteller, please contact Anne Wallace at 770.460.9946 or Anne50W@aol.com.
Other SOS members making these wonderful personal stories available to the community are John Beavin, Tom Wallace, B.J. Abraham, Lewis Armstrong and Linda Armstrong.
We will be gathering Tuesday, November 13th, 7:30 at Eddie’s Attic for Stories on the Square.
This is a special $5.00 ticketed show featuring Randy Osborne, Larry England, Denise DesSoye, Morganne Lee, David Russell, Sarah Beth Nelson, Bryan Dodd, and Shannon McNeal. We will be in the Music Room.
Following the programed storytelling will be the music of Matthew Ryan, then our usual open mic will begin about 10:00pm with no cover charge.
The guidelines are simple. It must be a true personal story, no longer than 7 minutes. No notes, music, singing, poems or fiction. No political or ex-lover rants. Absolutely no stand-up comedy routines are allowed.
There is no required theme. The suggested theme is “Rumor has it.”
Everyone gets to tell as time allows.
Free parking is available at the DeKalb County Courthouse parking deck at the corner of Commerce Dr. and West Trinity Place. Ignore the sign that states parking costs $6.00, the deck is open to the public for free after 6:00 p.m.
Want more info? Just check out our website.